Accusations of an overly complex plot have been everywhere, even critics who liked the show. For those of you looking for understanding in a world of unusually unflat circles, here are some important pieces of information:
- City Planner Ben Caspere was horribly murdered.
- Frank Semyon (Vince Vaughn) had given Caspere 5 million. The money is gone and Frank is broke.
- Frank is being screwed by other mobsters and double-crossed by his associate Blake.
- Caspere was involved in corruption dating back to a 1992 diamond theft that left two orphans.
- Caspere was doing shady deals on land for a rail corridor. Frank was looking for some legit business (and a baby). Not doing great on either account.
- Ray Velcoro (Colin Farrell) killed the man he thought raped his wife. Frank gave him the name. Blake gave Frank the name.
- Ani Bezzerides (Rachel McAdams) has a cult leader dad and she was molested as a child.
- Paul Woodrugh (Taylor Kitsch) fought in black ops and is homosexual.
- Velcoro, Bezzerides and Woodrugh are kinda working together to solve the solved case of Caspere’s death and unearth corruption.
- Everyone but Velcoro, Bezzerides and Woodrugh are corrupt or dead, sometimes both.
- Everyone is after Velcoro, Bezzerides and Woodrugh because they are neither corrupt or dead (depending on which episode you’ve seen, this is not entirely true).
Going into the season finale, we already have one casualty. Frank has turned arsonist and burnt down the illegal businesses he no longer owns. Velcoro and Bezzerides have got hot and heavy while Woodrugh is having a rough time. Everyone is after the three detectives and it looks like there is going to be some problems with crooked cops and mobsters. At the least we can expect a few good shootouts. If they are anything like the amazing scene at the end of episode 4, I’ll be happy.